We teach skills and techniques for our students to be able to protect themselves and only engage in violence as a last resort. Our students develop good character skills including: respect, discipline, self-control, and leadership.
We believe earning a black belt is a rite of passage. Through the journey, students develop a sense of identity and confidence. Our students display an attitude of "Black Belt Excellence" in every task: whether in the Dojo, at home, at school, or socially among peers. Although not all students make it to the Black Belt level, time spent training at Seaside Dojo will help students master the life skills necessary for success wherever they go, and in everything they do.
Sensei Ted and his instructor team strive to provide direction and feedback for each individual student during every class, allowing all students to progress quickly and confidently toward their personal goals. Seaside Dojo instructors take the responsibility of a role model seriously, leading by example, and demoinstrating the importance of strong character, leadership and virtue.
MASTER INSTRUCTOR/SELF PROTECTION SPECIALIST
Sensei Ted Dabbs has been actively involved in martial arts for nearly 30 years. He is the founder (2009) & head instructor of Seaside Dojo School of Martial Arts, located at 17543 Nassau Commons Blvd., Lewes, DE. He is a strong advocate for personal protection and believes strongly that martial arts is a pathway to self awareness and physical well-being.
Sensei Ted holds black belts in Tae Kwon Do and HeihoShinDo styles of martial arts, and achieved a master’s degree in exercise science. He has taught physical education and health, coached at division one universities, and worked as a personal trainer. He has provided self-defense instruction for area schools, realtors, medical staff, women’s groups, and kids camps. He has worked as a private investigator, served as a security specialist for large venues and serves on his church guardian team.
Ted has joined Delaware Tactical as a concealed carry instructor & combatives trainer. He trains unarmed individuals how to protect themselves when facing a violent encounter using principles of awareness, de-escalation and combatives.
M.A., Exercise Science with master’s thesis, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, 1991
B.A., Physical Education and Health, Secondary Teacher Certification and Coaching, Graceland College, Lamoni, IA, 1988
CERTIFICATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- USCCA Concealed Carry & Home Defense Certified Instructor
- NRA Range Safety Officer
- NRA Basic Firearms Instructor
- NRA Lifetime Member
- Member Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club, Bridgeville, Delaware
- Member Naticoke Sportsmans Club, Seaford, Delaware
- CCDW Delaware & Utah
- Certified Adrenal Stress Scenario Instructor, FAST Defense
- CPR, American Red Cross
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming: Certified Master Practitioner
- Advanced Handgun & Rifle, 8 hours
- Defensive Pistol/Carbine Course, 16 hours
- Force-on-force training, 20 hours
- Advanced Handgun 8 hours
- Advanced Carbine Class, 16 hours
- Athletics have included college football, track and field decathlon, full contact kickboxing.
- Hobbies include spending time at the shooting range, church ministry, scuba diving, hiking, camping, playing guitar, working out and staying healthy