Our goal at Seaside Dojo is for our students to develop realistic self-defense skills and good character. Training at Seaside Dojo encompases: self-defense, leadership, fitness, respect, discipline, and self-control.
We believe in building a better world one Black Belt at a time. Our students strive for Black Belt Excellence in every task: whether in the Dojo, at home, at school, or socially among peers. Although not all students make it to the Black Belt level, time spent training at Seaside Dojo will help students master the life skills necessary for success wherever they go, and in everything they do.
Seaside Dojo Martial Arts School is interested in serving its customers and the community by teaching more than just kicking and punching. Sensei Ted remains interested in the complete personal development of each student. Individual attention is a feature of each and every class, allowing all students to progress quickly and confidently toward their personal goals. Sensei Ted takes his responsibility as a role model for all students seriously, living and leading by example, teaching them the importance of strong character, leadership and virtue.
Head Instructor, Owner: Sensei Ted Dabbs
"Hello, this is Sensei Ted. Many people ask me what the word "Sensei" means. The term is a Japanese word and can be directly translated as "born before." It implies one who teaches based on wisdom from age and experience. In the Martial Arts world, Sensei refers to an instructor or teacher who has achieved a Black Belt rank.
Choosing a Martial Arts School is not only about looking at the program offered, but considering the qualifications of the instructor. As you consider the many benefits of joining Seaside Dojo, please look at my background and see what makes me uniquely qualified to be a Sensei.
- BA Degree from Graceland University, Physical Education and Health, Certified Physical Education Teacher, 1988
- MA Degree, Exercise Science, Western Michigan University 1991
- Professional Fitness Instructor and Sports Performance Coach, 1991 - present
- Physical Education & Health Instructor, grades 7-12, 2002 - 2006
- Over 25 years of experience teaching martial arts, 1992 - present
- Received Tae Kwon Do Black Belt in 1998
- Received Heiho Shin Do Black Belt in 2010
- Certified Anti-Bullying & Child Abduction Instructor, FAST Defense program, 2012
- Certified FAST Defence Instructor, Adrenal Stress Response Self Defense Training, 2012
- Certified Anger Management Coach, Dr. Fiore & Associates, 2013
- Business owner and community leader, Lewes, DE, 2007 - present
- Delaware CCDW License